We are still muddling through this whole idea of grief and permanent loss with the girls. Missing their kitty is currently their "go-to" sadness when they get too stressed or tired. I have been asked repeatedly if Tony can come back and play yet or if they can visit him in Heaven... just to say hi.
So I thought to myself how can I make this idea sink in and maybe also offer a little comfort. Last week I headed out on a mission to acquire stuffed animals resembling a certain little orange tabby.
After striking out at 5 stores I found a winner...
I headed home and snuck them on to their pillows while they were in Sofia's room enjoying a story with Craig. When they came into their rooms and saw their new soft friend they hugged him and then immediately asked me where they came from...
I asked them "where do you think it came from?"
and they said...
"God?" and then quickly settled on the idea that Tony had sent them a present from Heaven. A soft friend they could look at and love when they were feeling sad. When I checked on them a short time later they were both in their beds whispering to their new friend. They were telling stories about Tony and discussing with him what they did that day and telling him they loved him.
Now, I know that they would have gotten over him on their own and in a few short months Tony would be a distant memory in their ever changing lives... but I kind of don't want him to be.
I hope their new stuffed animals can be a reminder of a furry friend they loved when they were little girls.
I also hope they know that someone is looking out for their happiness, whether it's mom and dad or God or even their kitty in Heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment