In honor of World Prematurity Day I thought it was necessary to revisit/retell our story. My world forever changed when we welcomed our girls into this world 14 weeks early.
Sorting through the emotions of those first days, that first year is still a difficult task. Despair, elation, confusion, love, fear.
A birth is a beautiful thing, people congratulate you and you are bursting with love and joy. But what happens when you can't let yourself feel happy? When you are afraid that feeling happy gives you even more to possibly lose? Congratulations was such a odd thing to hear those first few days.
My inner mantra of those days became "thank you." I tried to be thankful for EVERYday I was given with my babies. I couldn't fix my babies, BUT I could be thankful they were in our lives. I was thankful God had blessed us with their lives, even if it was only going to be for one more day.
I could be thankful they were in the hands of caring nurses who loved them. I could be thankful they were in the care of skilled doctors. I could be thankful for those that came before them and the science that had been developed to help keep them alive.
That first year was a dizzying amount of appointments. Some filled with good news, some with apprehension and still so many questions. As they grew we tried to cherish EVERYTHING amidst the health problems and worry.
BUT I wouldn't trade that first year for anything. Our marriage, our outlook as parents they were both changed for the better through those struggles. I can now honestly say through experience there is no one else I would rather go through hell with than the man I married. If you don't think watching your babies struggle to breathe or go through major surgeries is hell I am here to tell you how wrong you are.
I doubt I would know how to love my girls the way I do if I hadn't had to face the idea that I might lose them at any minute. We all know we should cherish each day but have you ever been slapped in the face with a reason to and not walked away a changed person?
I am 100% sure that I am a better person and that this world is a better place because these two people are a part of it.
Georgia and Maddy, the strength you have shown me has forever changed me for the better. Thank you.
Thank you March of Dimes. Thank you Helen DeVos Children's Hospital for making these lives a a reality today.
Thank you God for letting me care for these beautiful girls. Thank you for bringing them into this world, I can not wait to see what you have planned of their futures.
The reality is premature births are still happening in our city, in our state, in our country and world far too often. Keep these babies born too early and their families in your thoughts and prayers.








No comments:
Post a Comment