6.21.2010

Goodbye Baby Mush

It astounds me how quickly things change when it comes to the girls. About six weeks ago when we went to the pediatrician we were talking about table foods. I was concerned because the girls were very sensitive with the different food textures. Anything with chunks would make them gag. Well apparently they have grown out of that We're having a hard time going through all the frozen pureed baby food I've made because feeding themselves has become so fascinating. I'm actually impressed with the amount that makes it into their mouths. Since their first birthday has passed the Dr. has given her ok for them to eat nearly anything. This has made dinner lots of fun they can/will finally eat whatever Craig and I are having. Currently chicken and peas are big favorites.

It may be fun but it is generally a lot messier too. Our floors seem to have a constant coating of random foods and as much as I sweep I still step on Cheerios almost ever day.

Georgia also seems to end up with a nice coating of whatever she's eating... She loves to run her sticky fingers through her hair. I think this was a mixture of pureed sweet potatoes and food she was feeding herself.









I mentioned before that I am really excited to get rid of formula and bottles. The Dr. wants the girls to continue with the formula until about August/September depending on their growth. At that time we will be switching them to whole milk. She did encourage us to continue transitioning the girls away from bottles to cups or sippy cups. So about a month ago we started giving them formula in a cup with meals. They are doing so well. They take about 1/2 a bottle in the morning, and a full one in the afternoon. Usually they take the rest of their formula from a cup.


Someone made a snarky comment to me recently as the girls were drinking and spilling a little that "that little girl needs a sippy cup..." Well I ignored her but to anyone else wondering why I torture myself with spills and messes, I personally don't like sippy cups. There has been lots of recent research linking sippy cups to speech impairments, tooth decay, etc. Don't get me wrong they seem to be super convenient and of course eliminate a lot of mess so yes I know we're not taking the easy road on this one but the girls do great with a cup and whether it's now or later they're going to need to learn how to drink from one and I'm sure whenever the time they will spill a little.

No comments: