3.05.2011

Painting Personalities

As most of you already know I studied psychology in college. Most of you also know that I LOVE to people watch and subsequently analyze behaviors. Yes, I have probably analyzed you. The girls are not immune to this, they are actually my favorite subjects! I love to watch them gain awareness of the world around them in, each in their own way.


We have been doing a lot of painting lately. It's quick, easy and washable and keeps them entertained for a decent amount of time. The other day I cut paper plates into shamrock shapes to add a little St. Patty's day flair to our home decor. Well, they immediately ripped said shapes so I gave them the entire paper plate instead.

Anyway, this is how Georgia paints:


Georgia dives in with both hands. She doesn't hesitate to spread her fingers wide as she mixes all the colors. She laughs and screams as she plays in the paint and then smiles as she hands me her completed plate and waits patiently for another to begin again. She is always smiling as if proud of her creation and is ready to forge ahead. It is as if she has no fear, she follows her gut and creates what she feels. She is almost always bursting at the seams with emotion, good and bad. When things aren't going her way she makes you not only hear her pain but feel it too, and when she is happy she shakes with giddiness and laughter. I LOVE her excitement and energy. It's so contagious.

This is how Maddy paints:


Maddy likes the colors and usually spends a minute or two just looking at her paper/plate, canvas. It's almost as if she is just taking it all in, making a plan. She'll touch them a little and move the plate around as she looks at it but when she gets down to business she slowly moves the paint around with one finger. She is never done. She never hands me her plate as if to say "I'm finished" and is always going back to tweak her art, spread a little, mix a little more. I am in awe of her focus, seriously - she's a toddler who makes a mental plan, really??? I LOVE watching her eyes as she takes in the world around us. I can almost see the wheels turning as she learns and grows. Wherever we go people always comment on her serious expression but by the time we are leaving she is sharing her great big smile with everyone.


Yes, they are amazing and yes they are creative and thoughtful.... but they are also toddlers, and apparently it was close to dinnertime.... I am so thankful for non-toxic finger paint but, yuck!




No comments: