The third question/prompt is... describe your relationship with your children.
Ok... so I feel like this is a little difficult to answer as the girls are all so young. I feel like I have a fantastic relationship with all three of my girls.
I love the newly developing relationship I have with Sofia. I love this age, EVERYTHING is so new to her which is rejuvenating in a way. Babies may be exhausting but when you watch their eyes light up when they see you, it has a way of reviving you. My relationship with Sofia is already so different from the relationship I had with each of the twins when they were this age. Even if you disregard the dramatic entrance Madelyn & Georgia made into the world they were still so much more demanding. I could literally feel my blood pressure rise when one of them would fuss too early during nap/middle of the night. Or a dog would bark within a 1 mile radius threatening to wake them. I couldn't just pick them up and carry along with my day (or accomplish anything) like I can with Sofia. As long as she is with me (generally) she is happy. I never had that with the girls. It may sound cliche (or whiny) but I missed out on so much with them, including breastfeeding. They never depended on me (and only me) like Sofia has. There are times (everytime she gets kicked out of the nursery at church/the gym/etc. for crying too much) when I wish she was maybe not quite as attached to me.... BUT if I'm really honest, I love it. It's pretty nice to be someone's everything and I know it won't last.
As a mom I try to be a friend at times, but a friend who demands respect. I want the girls to know that I love them and I like them but we are not equals in this house as they are growing up. There are times when we are all silly and crazy together which is fantastic as long as the girls know when it's time to stop and listen.
I try my best to see Georgia and Madelyn as individuals and notice, appreciate and love their differences.
Georgia needs to be reassured more often than Maddy. I always need to explain to her that even if I tell her NO or she is in trouble for something it doesn't mean I love her less. On the other hand, I also know that the way to get Georgia's attention is to tell her what she did hurt my feelings or made me sad. It goes so much further with her than just reprimanding. She is the one I go to for snuggles. She is more sensitive and I try to remember that... BUT she is also a little actress and already knows how to manipulate others. She knows when to ACT shy or sad to get what she wants from me and others.
Madelyn will often tell me exactly how she is feeling and what she wants or needs. She pushes my buttons in different ways than Georgia does and she also connects to my heart in different ways. She tells me the best stories. For the time being she is a bit less sensitive and more interested in butting heads with me than Georgia BUT she is also one of the happiest little girls I have ever met. Her happiness (especially) in the morning is infectious and has a way of making anything look better.
These 3 girls (and Craig) are my favorite people in the world. I hope as they grow into women they can appreciate and know that. I am not quite sure how to anticipate what the relationship with three teenage girls will be... I know my relationship with each of them will continue to change and grow and evolve as we all grow and I love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment